Saturday, May 13, 2017

How Grrr met Bruce

Handing Bob a fresh coffee and popping a cold rootbeer Grrr settled back in his deck chair.
"You remember those old dino movies Bob?" Grrr asked.
"Sure, "The Lost World", "Prof. Challenger", "King Kong".  I rooted for the Rex."  Bob said.
"Knew there was something I liked about ya". Grrr said with a grin.
"Well, I loved them. Since I was younger than Jr, I wanted to be in pictures.
I had that fight with King Kong a thousand times in my dreams and always beat his furry butt.
So, as soon as I could, I set out for Hollywood.
Hollywood is a strange place.
 Either everyone wants you and you are "hot"  or it is mostly a case of "don't call us we will call you".
I was going the rounds... getting  small walk on parts in C pictures, even had to wear the rubber dino costume."Gotta give the people what they expect kid." one director told me.
Anyway, I decided to take a day off from answering casting calls and go to the beach.
Venice Beach, is another,  even stranger place than Hollywood, so many odd creatures there that no-one pays attention to a young T-Rex and you can relax.
 As I was soaking up some rays, I hear ..."HELP..HELP leave me alone".
So I look up and there are some drunk humans dragging a shark out of boat.
Now there were 15 or 20 of them and only one shark and that did not seem fair so I went over and roared at them to let him go  in my "enraged dino voice'.
Which they did and than they  ran off the beach screaming.
There is something to be said for acting class.
 I helped the shark out of the net, got him a cup of tea and back into the sea.
I figured that was the end of it. 
A few months latter I was at the studio for a cattle call.
"Cattle call"  what's that? Bob asked
"A Cattle call" , said Grrr.  "is when all the wanna be or has been actors show up the mob shoots in movies hoping for a bit of face time to get noticed.
Sort of like buying a lotto ticket,with the same odds of winning , except you stand around in the heat or rain get yelled at,  and if you are lucky, you might get a cheap box lunch.
 If you are VERY lucky, you might get a small roaring walk on .
As I was waiting in the sun, a  white elegant   limo comes by... stops, a blacked out window slides down and the creature in the back seat called.."Kid..You..the T-Rex..yeah you..come here."
Now Bob, in Hollywood, ONLY the "A" list  has a car like that and ONLY the very top of the "A" list  can stop a "Shoot" like that to talk to someone.
I looked at the director and she said "Go--go..don't you know WHO that is??  GO!"
The big shot  producer, who a minute before was acting like god, looks like he  is ready to wash the guy's windshield .
 I walked over to the car and inside is this big tank with the shark who I had helped . 
The shark sticks up his head and holds out a fin and says  "I never got to say thank you kid".
The Shark turns to the human sitting next to him in the limo and says.
"Stevie , boy-chick, that movie about the island and the dinos, this kid would be perfect, a personal favor to me, give him a shot. You won't be sorry. Such a roar I never heard."
Five minutes later I am on the set of JP."Image

No comments:

Post a Comment