Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Wolfman's story part VI ...save her or die like a Englishman trying.

"My rifle and revolver had little result so as there was nothing for it. I drew the dagger my men had given me and closed with the brute. I had learned in 3 years of war and Trench raids with fritz's storm troop commandos that one simply closed one's mind and did your best to do the other chap in or he would do for you. The soldier replaced the scholar and it was kill or be be killed. As we met and struggled claw and teeth against blade the fight seemed endless as they all do but it was over very quickly and the brute lay at my feet. The soldier once more in command, I cleaned my blade and  reloaded my revolver and rifle. Where there was one brute, there may well be more. I felt young Ktrenia timidly take my hand and we returned at times she leading me to the Rom  camp.
King Demo was overjoyed at the safe return of his child. But old Slvi in tears said " Sit ..sit my son you are hurt." Now as an Englishman and more as a soldier I have learned that hurts do not matter only duty does. Yet, truth to be told Friend Grrr and Bob, once the shock wore off and the child safe, the pain was great indeed. King Demo himself removed the rags of my shirt  and sam brown belt pointing at my dagger and saying "silver." as the other men nodded. Slvi, as a mother might,  washed my wounds.  A great weakness overcame me and I woke in her wagon.
"My son, you did much for my family yet much to your hurt.." She said.."Nonsense" I replied', "I am  I think a friend and a British officer. A soldier.  That child was at risk. These bites..I have had worse from father's hound."
"No, my son" she said with tears..king Demo nodding in agreement. "That was not a hound or even a wolf you fought but a  Lycoln and now you must be one..but this.." king Demo took a ornate silver ring from an ancient box and she placed it on my hand. "This will offer some help..a lycoln you must be. But, with this,  you can choose when and your mind will remain that of a man"
"Of course friend Bob and Grrr, I took it to be superstitious foolishness.  Yet to refuse a gift was to insult the giver. so I took the ring..Later I was very glad of it...
To be continued, 
Image result for picture of a old silver men's ring

No comments:

Post a Comment