Monday, August 7, 2017

The wolfman's story continued

"Well as a lanquist, I fear that I was always more the scholar  than soldier at heart, I followed the music to their camp. Alas, as their experience with armed men in uniform, was not always of the best,  and as a soldier I was both. They were at first, a bit,  shall we say reserved"  
"Huh?" asked Grrr. "They got a bad rep pal.  So they dont like anyone that looks like a cop." said Bob. 
"There have long been..hum difficulties." Continued Larry. "But as I greeted them in Rom and explained that I was drawn to the music, I was soon made welcome. The good people insisted on sharing what little they had. Food during the war was very hard to come by and I suspect the stew was more horse than cow or lamb but after 3 years at the Front in the Trenches of France, I could eat anything. In fact, I well recall, with fondness, Cpl Jones recipe for Rat Tattar.   Grrr and Bob exchanged looks. "Ah, I well understand friends." said Larry noting  the exchange of looks. "But one simply had to be there. " I guess" said Bob. "Yep" agreed Grrr. "Please continue lar." invited Grrr.
"Duty called, but I returned several times, and since I was both a officer and the agent of Britain, I, of course, had no trouble drawing a supply horse of army rations. Bully beef or Serbian army fare may not seem to inviting today chaps but to my Rom friends it was a feast indeed and a bottle or two of brandy and box of cigars well!  They are proud folks and dont like to accept from a stranger but once I made clear that I had eaten with them and so was but returning the favor and would be offended, as indeed I would have been, had they refused.  All was music and dancing. Some of the Rom  ladies were fair indeed,  but I did have a lady waiting  in England and I mean no offence; but  we took that sort of thing far far more seriously than do people today. So I was accepted over time as as an odd outlander but as friend and scholar."

Image result for picture of a gypsy party

To be continued..


No comments:

Post a Comment