Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Wolfman's story part lll

"So I was accepted over time as an odd outlander but as friend and scholar.
They were happy and I think pleased that an outlander and a British officer would wish to learn of them. At that time friends, we British enjoyed a renown  alas long gone.  As duty allowed I spend as much free time as I could in their camp and the "Queen" Slvi, I should say the old queen, as her husband had been killed in a dispute with the Turks and so her son and a new queen rulied. In any case, as the  dowager queen had much free time and I much interest in the history and culture of the Rom,  We spoke much. I think that she, like many older folk, was glad to find a ear to talk about old times with.  I learned of the life of the band and its travels through the Balkans. Partly as a matter of duty, as well as scholarship, I learned much of Johnny Turk and the customs of the region as only a native could know them. The Rom, as a simple matter of survival, must keep their ears and eyes open as you Yanks say. Understand Friend Grrr and Friend Bob that the custom of the Rom is to give a gift to a valued friend. Now of course I could bring food to the dinner or coin or two to the dance. But to offer money to a lady of any age was a blood insult. Yet I felt the need for a gift in return for such trust and friendship. Slvi spoke sadly of a sky blue dress that had been lost when the Turk burned the camp in the fight where her husband was killed. So I spoke with  "King" Demo and he told me that I had his permission to gift such cloth to his mother that she could make a dress. That such, in his eyes,  would be a very acceptable thanks gift. So I asked my lady to send such cloth to me from England, of course telling her why, and being better than I deserve, she sent, not just  the cloth,  but thread and needles. (With a note  saying that only a man would not realize that a lady also needed  not only the cloth but the proper thread and needles. She loved me much and I her.)

When the package arrived, I went to the camp as soon as duty allowed and as custom required handed the package to king Demo, who, as was their way, handed it back to me and nodded that I might present it to Slvi. When she opened it, her face was a wonder and I do think it was than I was accepted into the tribe as a rom and Slvi saw me for the first time as the son she had lost.
To be continued.

Image result for picture of an old gypsy queen

No comments:

Post a Comment