Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Charlie the Agent.


"BTS Cruise lines?  you must have had one heck of a agent!" Grrr told Burce.
"Charlie was the best.  a Tuna he was. He had been in Hollywood since they cranked the cameras by hand . He  knew everybody; and  he was trusted and in Hollywood, trust was hard to find by the time you got there kid." Bruce said to Grrr.
" Charlie was old school, he looked out for his people and for the studio.  He would not send a actor for a movie they could not do just for a percent.
Like family....a father .  If you were between jobs..needed a few bucks or a fish, Charlie knew and would be there.  'Don’t worry kid', he would say. 'that is what you pay me to do.
Here, ' he would say, as he put a few bucks in your pocket  or a  few fish in your tank...'you want you should insult me?? Take it..Take it....When you are back on top, in the spotlight, look out for the little fish.'
Hollywood has lawyers..staff..people from the big schools..Charlie did not finish high school but smarts and honesty and honor he had in full measure.  A heart, which ..most people, or creatures who come to Hollywood to get in pictures often lose. Charlie never did.
 Grrr, you know about the camera."
"That is the cold truth, Bob. You can be the best looking.. best British trained actor.. but if the camera does not like you, you may as well get back on the bus." Grrr said.
"Or the worst schmuck" .Bruce said,  "But if the camera likes you, that schmuck is golden.
Many a kid  or creature Charlie walked to that bus home. He put some money for a ticket and meals in that beings  pocket sent him home.  Some could not go, pride, They found other work behind the camera, many a back stage guy or girl or creature owed his or her or its start to Charlie.
Later  when some of them became big; the heads of the union or the studio, when Charlie called, they picked up the phone.
I tell you Grrr, the dreck that passes for pictures today,  if Charlie, ...never mind.  Bruce said with a shake of his fin.   you were wise to leave when you were on top..so many hold on ..too long.. sad to see them, but you ... I was ...I am so proud of you kid...  A School Dino you became...such a wonderful thing.  A Scholar! Better  that than anything."

Bruce, how did you meet Charlie?" Bob asked
well,'replied Bruce, "I had been in Hollywood for a couple of years..did a little TV.."Sea Hunt'.."Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" . nothing big. When one  day, on the set, I get  a phone call.  They lowered the waterproof phone into my tank and it was Charlie.  He  said.   "Hey kid,  How’s by you? I got a deal that would suit you like a glove. Atlantis picture. They need a young shark...so? "
of course, I had heard of Charlie, who had not in those days?  So I said. "Yes, sir  ..thank you.
"Good..good."  He said. "I will send over  a script and a contact.
" Just the script will be fine sir. I trust you on the contract." I said.
 I heard Charlie take the cigar out of his mouth  and say.
"Gott in Heaven .  Another artist I got?  Kid,  .  young you are, but you don’t gotta be dumb.
 Always read the contract."

To be continued,

No comments:

Post a Comment